Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Reflection on Connectivism Learning

How has your network changed the way you learn? The ways that I have learned in the past has greatly been impacted by the ways that I am learning now. It is important for me to know how and where to locate learning resources and gather information that is readily available without going to my local library. At this point in my life, I appreciate the convenience of technology. Thanks to the digital age of the Internet and personal computers, I am able to learn from various sources such as  Wikipedia, forum, chat group, eLearning/distance, online communities, and the latest learning tool for me—blogging all from the comfort of my home.
In my current class, "Learning Theories and Instruction” I am engaging in a new learning path and knowledge-based skills not only applicable to me in the classroom, but also in learning out-of-the classroom. As a former corporate trainer for adults learning, I was only interested in how best to create learning that was conducive to their needs but the wealth of knowledge that I have acquired during this course I have access to various learning theories applicable for me to use with all genre of learners including, but not limited to, my own learning needs.

 Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you? I think the digital tools that work best for me is the Internet—wikis, blogs, web feed, eLearning, webinars, distance learning as well as forums. I have found, since taking online classes that engaging all of these tools have really helped in my ability to require and understand different learning theories and learning needs

How do you gain new knowledge when you have questions? Now that I have been introduced to different ways in which to communicate, my favorite way to gain knowledge is via the Wikis, forums and blogs.

In what ways does your personal learning network support or refute the central tenets of connectivism? My personal learning networks have been very instrumental in providing the kind of learning experience for me to complete my education in the comfort of my home thanks to the digital age of online learning. The fact that I am able to find information on any subject germane to my learning experience is also great.




  

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I agree that on-line resources offer the adult learner many avenues to learn key knowledge. I notice in class Walden University uses Wiki's. You mentioned Wiki's as a source of leaning. I am curious what the norm is for Wiki's I use Google to learn and research. I found some interesting information about the accuracy of Wiki's. My college does not allow our students to use Wiki's in papers. There were several quotes on line about the accuracy of Wiki's. "Wikipedia articles were cited as references in journals (614 cites in 2009) and as evidence in trademark and higher court rulings. However, omissions and readability sometimes remained an issue – the former at times due to public relations removal of adverse product information and a considerable concern for fields such as medicine." obtained from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia on February 5, 2011. I think Wiki;s are a good first look at the literature but the student must closely evaluate the knowledge of the author and compared the information to higher level academic web sites and references.

    Steve K

    ReplyDelete